A new waste collection service went live in Swindon on 27th November 2023 and Cllr Watts has been giving regular updates as the responsible Cabinet Member. You can find those below.
The headlines are:
- the new waste service was rolled out in late November 2023 after years of planning.
- the old vehicles were breaking down and needed replacing, and when the first plans were put in place it was due to a legal obligation to recycle food waste by 2024.
- new staff and vehicles were put in place for the implementation, and delaying would have had a significant financial cost.
- excess cardboard over Black Friday and then Christmas was more than expected, based on previous statistics and with a significant uplift already planned in. The Black Friday increase was noted but handled, but the Bank Holidays then exacerbated the situation.
- Council staff have been working very hard to get the delays under control
Please see the links below for more details over time, and visit the SBC website for full information: https://www.swindon.gov.uk/recyclefaqs